The CaterpillarKit is a fantastic way of studying insect life cycle and the magic of metamorphosis in a classroom or just have fun observing it at home. An unforgettable learning experience that lasts 4-6 weeks. The kit allows to closely observe the caterpillars development and their metamorphosis into pupae (chrysalises) and butterflies. Butterflies can be kept in the folding enclosure and fed sugar solution and fruit juice using the feeding sticks provided. Alternatively, they can be released during the warm time of the year when temperatures reach above 20C.
Additional chrysalises can be purchased with this kit.
The kit includes:
- A foldable Enclosure
- Plants cuttings or potted plants (local pickup)
- 6 healthy caterpillars
- Detailed setup instructions and National Curriculum linked activities handbook – 74 pages of teaching goodness! – Downloadable PDF document. The instructions (5 pages) will be emailed ahead of time. Please let us know if you need a hard copy as well, printing charges may apply.
- 3 butterfly feeding sticks
- A magnifying glass
- A brush to handle caterpillars
- A water mister to spray water on chrysalises
- Unlimited online and phone support
- Guaranteed to produce at least 3 butterflies!
Two Kit Options (Please contact us to discuss this options):
- Potted plants. This option is for a pick up in Melbourne (Camberwell or Ascot Vale) because the postage would cost over $100.. The advantages of this option is that you don’t have to worry about keeping the plant material fresh AND you could re-grow plants use for the next year again.
- Fresh cuttings. This is an excellent option for overnight delivery, as all parts of the kit fit into a compact package. The cuttings will need to be kept refrigerated and fed to caterpillars gradually. This will usually take 1-2 weeks.
Caterpillar Kit Video instructions:
Cost and Delivery:
Both options are $199. The price includes overnight delivery for Option 2. Please allow 1-2 weeks for delivery. We pack all Caterpillar kits on Mondays for Express Post delivery, so you should expect to receive them on Tuesday/Wednesday depending on your location or the wind direction… .
How to Order:
Either use the cart option above or email us ([email protected]) or call us 1300 67 99 47 with your details and when you need the kit. We will take care of the rest and issue you with an invoice. Payment options:
- Bank transfer,
- PayPal and
- Credit Cards.
Releasing or keeping your butterflies.
Butterflies require 20C or higher to fly. They will be sleepy at lower temperatures.
The butterflies can be kept as pets in your pop-up enclosure for 3-4 weeks or longer but you need to feed them every second day. It is easy to feed butterflies. Soak a paper towel in sugary water (1-2 teaspoons of sugar per glass of water) and place it on top of the enclosure. Butterflies are attracted to light and always hang out at the top of the enclosure. This is where you place your paper towel. You can also put one at the bottom of the cage, just in case. Additionally, its a very good idea to mist the mesh of your enclosure with water to keep the butterflies hydrated.
Presentations and Caterpillar Kit packages.
We offer various discount options for presentations and caterpillar kits combo. Please contact us to discuss
Orchard Swallowtail option